Skip to Content
Schedule Your Free Consultation 601-265-6869

It's a Slippery Slope: How Slip and Fall Cases Are Won (or Lost)

'Maggio Law

Have you ever been injured on someone else’s property by tripping or slipping and falling to the ground? If so, you might be eligible to receive compensation. Slip/trip and fall cases are also known as premises liability cases, which is technically a broader category of these types of cases. Even for something as small as a sprained ankle or as severe as a broken limb, if you received an injury on someone else’s property, they may be liable for the damages received and medical bills incurred as a result of the injury. 

The most important things to remember when dealing with slip and fall cases

In our experience, several things are essential to be aware of if you are involved in a slip/trip and fall incident on someone else’s property: 

  1. Have your phone handy? Take as many detailed pictures of the scene, providing as much insight as to the condition of the property, as well as your injury, as possible. 
  2. If the property owner or anyone else asks for a recorded statement of what happened, don’t give one. Contact an attorney to determine the next steps before you accidentally admit any fault. 
  3. If anyone else witnessed the incident, be sure to write down the names and phone numbers of anyone you see on site. Witnesses can often be critical in winning a slip and fall case. 
  4. What were you wearing? Try to save any footwear or clothing you were wearing at the time of the fall in the same condition it was in immediately after the incident. 
  5. Write down as many details as you can remember, or jot or dictate them into your phone if this is faster for you. These may be vital to your case down the road. 

If I slip or trip and fall, when should I contact an attorney?

Though these types of cases are quite common, they can be very complicated and should be handled by an experienced attorney for many reasons – one of them being the property owners themselves. If someone falls or is hurt on someone else’s property, owners can often make quick clean-ups, improvements, or repairs, thereby rendering your claim ineffective. That’s why you should contact an attorney and quickly by tackling some of the critical issues surrounding slip and fall accidents, such as: 

  • Providing proof that the condition of the premises was dangerous;
  • Showing that the owner of the property knew or should have been aware of a hazardous situation;
  • Alternatively, the property owner failed to warn you about the dangerous condition of the property adequately. 

The serious responsibility of property owners

It is the full responsibility of property owners to maintain a safe place for anyone coming onto the property. This includes customers, pedestrians, employees, workers and other types of visitors. If the property owner was aware of a hazard and knowingly put people in harm’s way, they are responsible for the damages incurred. Period. 

However, this is easier said than done and often requires the use of witnesses, expert testimony, and other important elements to prove these types of hazardous situations were at play at the time of the injury: 

  • Spills that created slippery surfaces
  • Uneven steps or stairs
  • Missing or loose handrails
  • Inadequate lighting
  • Misplaced items that can be tripped over in high-traffic areas
  • Uneven sidewalks or sidewalks that have holes or cracks
  • Inadequate handicapped access
  • Leaks on display shelves or in other areas
  • Inadequate security

With many cases, there are other important elements to be aware of if the injury happened on a commercial property, residential property, government property, or other areas. It is crucial to speak to one of our experienced attorneys promptly to find out what your options might be.

Contact ‘MAGGIO LAW, serving Gulfport, Jackson, and surrounding areas for a number of legal issues. We do what’s best for our clients. You can always trust us to be honest and have your best interest in mind. Just give us a call today at (601) 265-6869

Share To: