woman on the phone with an insurance adjuster

How Long Do I Have to Call My Insurance After a Crash?

When you hold someone liable for your injuries following a car accident, time is of the essence. There’s a complete timeline that you must work through to successfully obtain compensation, but many individuals don’t work quickly enough, and it jeopardizes their rights.

Obtaining compensation means working as quickly as possible, especially when you have mounting hardships. Keep in mind, there’s a statute of limitations regarding how long you have to file a claim, but there’s also the need for urgency when speaking with your own insurance company.

Reporting Your Crash to Your Insurance Quickly

After a crash, you want to report it to your insurance provider as soon as possible. The quicker you report your accident to your own insurance provider, the better. You get help dealing with insurance adjusters representing the other driver’s provider and your statement on record.

When you delay reporting your accident, it can work against you. Insurance adjusters may claim that because of your delay, you didn’t suffer severe injuries or that your damage occurred in a separate and unrelated incident.

The State’s Statute of Limitations

In the state of Mississippi, the statute of limitations determine how long you have to bring forth a personal injury action for compensation. The state allows you three years from the date of the injury to file your lawsuit.

Time is essential, though, because if you don’t file within the statute of limitations, you may be unable to obtain compensation. Insurance companies and adjusters delay claims to try and get you to accept a settlement, but the best way to protect your rights is to quickly work with legal counsel.

At ‘Maggio | Thompson, LLP, you’ll find dedicated lawyers who want to help you pursue the compensation and justice you deserve. Our team of Jackson car accident lawyers is dedicated to your rights every step of the way. We’ll give you a voice against negligence.

Call our firm today at (601) 265-6869.