Skip to Content
Schedule Your Free Consultation 601-265-6869

Where Do Bicycle Accidents Most Often Occur?

Where Do Bicycle Accidents Most Often Occur?

Bicycle accidents are unfortunately common and can result in serious injuries. Understanding where these accidents occur can help us develop strategies to prevent them. Let's dive into the common locations where bicycle accidents usually happen.

Urban Areas

The majority of bicycle accidents occur in urban settings, where traffic is high and roads are busy. Studies show that up to 75% of all bicycle accidents happen in such areas, with intersections being particularly hazardous. The complexity of urban road networks, coupled with heavy traffic, make city cycling a risky endeavor.


Intersections are another common location for bicycle accidents, accounting for around 45% of all bicycle-motor vehicle collisions. Cyclists are often hit by vehicles failing to yield the right-of-way, or by drivers who are not attentive to their surroundings. Proper signaling and awareness can help reduce the risk of collision at intersections.

Bike Lanes

While bike lanes are designed to protect cyclists, they can also be sites of accidents. Often, bike lanes are positioned directly adjacent to parked cars, and cyclists can be hit by opening car doors or by vehicles pulling out of parking spots without looking. It's crucial for both cyclists and drivers to be vigilant in these areas to prevent accidents.

Rural Roads

Lastly, while less common, accidents do occur on rural roads. These can be particularly dangerous due to high vehicle speeds and the lack of protective infrastructure like bike lanes. The narrow, winding nature of many rural roads, coupled with poor visibility, further increase the risk.

In conclusion, while cycling is a healthy and environmentally friendly mode of transportation, it is not without its risks. Awareness of these common accident locations and constant vigilance on the road can go a long way in ensuring a safe ride.

Learn your rights. Call (601) 265-6869 today and discuss with a lawyer.

Share To: