Jackson Bus Accident Attorneys
Litigating Against Public and Private Bus Companies
Bus accidents can be particularly scary due to the vehicle’s size and occupancy. When a bus flips over, veers off the road, or collides with a car or truck, many people are at risk for injuries. In severe crashes, passengers can even be ejected from the vehicle or killed.
Whether public or private, no one boards a bus expecting to have their life changed forever. That’s why it’s important to hold all liable parties accountable in the case of a bus accident in Jackson, anywhere in Mississippi, or nationwide.
At 'MAGGIO Law, we handle bus accident cases involving:
Why You Need a Bus Accident Lawyer
Being involved in a bus accident can be a traumatic and life-altering event. Whether you were a passenger on a public bus or involved in a collision with a private bus, it's important to understand your rights and seek legal representation from an experienced bus accident attorney.
Here are a few reasons why hiring an attorney is crucial:
- Expertise in bus accident laws: Bus accidents involve complex legal issues, including determining liability, investigating the cause of the accident, and understanding the regulations that govern public and private bus companies. An experienced attorney will have in-depth knowledge of these laws and can navigate the legal process on your behalf.
- Maximizing your compensation: Bus accidents can result in serious injuries and significant financial losses. An attorney will fight to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. They will negotiate with insurance companies and, if necessary, take your case to court to seek a fair settlement or verdict.
- Investigation and evidence gathering: Proving fault in a bus accident can be challenging. An attorney will conduct a thorough investigation, gathering evidence such as accident reports, witness statements, surveillance footage, and expert opinions. This evidence will strengthen your case and increase your chances of a successful outcome.
- Guidance and support: Dealing with the aftermath of a bus accident can be overwhelming. An attorney will provide you with guidance and support throughout the legal process, answering your questions, addressing your concerns, and advocating for your rights. They will handle all communication with insurance companies and other parties involved, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
Don't navigate the complexities of a bus accident case alone. Contact our Jackson bus accident attorneys at 'MAGGIO Law today for a free consultation. We are dedicated to helping accident victims like you recover the compensation they deserve.
Public vs. Private Bus Accidents
If you’ve been in a bus accident and are considering legal action, the first question you should be asking yourself is:
“Was the bus I was riding in owned by a private company or a government entity?”
The way your case is built will depend on your answer to this question.
An accident involving a private bus company will look like most other personal injury lawsuits.
Assuming the crash is the bus driver’s fault, you will file suit against both them and their employer on the grounds of negligence. Essentially, you will claim the bus driver did something they should not have done or failed to exercise reasonable care while driving. If you are successful, you will be able to hold both the driver and their employer accountable for your injuries and losses.
Public bus accidents are more difficult still. School buses, city buses, and buses used for public transit are typically owned by state or local governments, which means the bus driver is likely a government employee.
Government entities and employees are protected by sovereign immunity and are, therefore, unable to be sued without their permission. In cases of injuries, losses, and potential wrongdoing, however, the government usually allows itself to be sued according to a strict bureaucratic process.
To make a successful claim against the government, you must follow procedural requirements exactly. Any oversight could put your case at risk. Our attorneys have years of experience making these types of claims. To strengthen your chances of winning, put our skilled team of litigators on your side.
Is It Worth Filing Suit?
When making your case against a government entity and/or employee, it’s important to note that the compensation you receive may be limited by the state or municipality. If your accident was serious, however, a lawsuit should, at the very least, help cover your medical expenses.
One instance of this “damage caps” concept comes from the University of Mississippi. Per the Mississippi Tort Claims Act, claims against the state institution are capped at, or limited to, $500,000. While this exemplary amount may not be enough to fully compensate you for the injuries and losses you suffered in a bus accident, it might make a significant dent in your medical bills and get you started on the road to recovery.
Suits against private companies are much more flexible and you will typically be dealing with insurance companies.
We can help you request full compensation for all your injuries and losses, including:
- Emergency room fees and other medical expenses
- The costs of rehabilitative care
- Missed wages
- Altered earning potential
- Changes to your quality of life
- Pain and suffering
If the bus driver in question caused your accident with total disregard for your safety, you may also be entitled to punitive damages, which are designed to punish the wrongdoer, assist the victim, and discourage similar behavior in the future.
In any situation, filing a lawsuit can bring you a sense of justice and peace of mind. Our firm is dedicated to helping you achieve real results in whatever case you choose to file.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
In Mississippi, the statute of limitations for most bus accident claims is three years. If you’re dealing with a government entity, your timeline may be even shorter.
Once your accident occurs, the clock starts ticking. As such, we recommend you begin your legal journey as soon as possible. Why not start with a free consultation at our Jackson office?
Choose ‘MAGGIO LAW
Our firm fights for you when other firms won’t and handles cases on a contingency-fee-basis, which means we won’t collect a cent unless your claim is successful. Our bus accident attorneys will be personally involved in your case from the moment you walk through our doors.
Many of our current cases are referrals from satisfied clients. See for yourself why we have such a stellar representation.
Call us 24/7 at (601) 265-6869 and schedule your free case review with our bus accident lawyers in Jackson, MS.