Burn Injury Lawyers in Jackson, MS
Attorneys Fighting for the Compensation You Deserve
A severe burn can cause a considerable amount of physical trauma, pain, and suffering. It can render a victim unable to work for some time and can even cause a permanent disability. It can forever change a victim’s life.
Fortunately, there is hope. If your injuries occurred at work or were caused by someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing, you may be entitled to compensation to cover medical bills, lost wages, and even emotional trauma. ‘MAGGIO Law represents clients in Jackson and across Mississippi who have experienced serious burn injuries and can offer insight regarding your legal options if you or someone you love has been burned in any type of accident.
For a free review of your burn injury claim, call (601) 265-6869. We’re ready to listen to your story!
Representation for All Kinds of Burn Injury Claims
Our lawyers at 'MAGGIO Law handle burn injury lawsuits related to a variety of circumstances, including but not limited to:
- Apartment building fires
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Chemical burns
- Electrical burns
- Scalding water and pipes
- Locked fire exits
- Flammable liquids or gases
- Dangerous products
- Workplace accidents
- Fires and explosions
Burn Injury Lawsuits: Who Is Liable?
The liable party in a burn injury lawsuit may be one or more persons or companies that contributed to the victim’s injuries. This party is referred to as the defendant, and the victim is referred to as the plaintiff.
Generally, there are four elements to such a case:
- The defendant owed a duty of care to the plaintiff;
- This duty of care was breached in some way;
- The plaintiff suffered quantifiable injuries; and
- The breach of care was the proximate cause of the plaintiff’s injuries.
Let’s take a look at these elements in action, using a hypothetical example. Joe goes to AB Coffee, his favorite coffee shop, to get a cappuccino. When Susan, the employee at AB Coffee, hands Joe his cappuccino, the lid is not secured correctly. The boiling hot cappuccino spills all over Joe’s hand, causing second-degree burns. In this case, Joe may be able to sue AB Coffee for money for his medical bills, any lost earnings, and other losses he suffered as a result of his severe burns.
In a case involving a workplace burn injury, however, the victim does not need to prove cause. Workers’ compensation is provided on a no-fault basis for all work-related injuries.
Degrees of Burn Injuries
Burn injuries are classified into different "degrees" based on severity. They are as follows:
- First degree: First degree burns are mostly superficial and only affect the top-layer of skin, resulting in pain, redness, and swelling. These burns are considered minor and rarely cause lasting damage.
- Second degree: Second degree burns affect both the outer and underlying layers of skin, resulting in pain, redness, swelling, and blistering. Also called "partial thickness burns," second degree burns can sometimes result in scarring and are generally considered serious if they are more than 2 to 3 inches wide or if they are on the face, hands, feet, groin, buttocks, or over a major joint.
- Third degree: Third degree burns, also known as "full thickness buns," penetrate into the deep layers of skin and cause it to turn black, brown, white, or yellow. Third degree burns often involve damage to nerve endings, resulting in numbness and permanent scarring.
- Fourth degree: Fourth degree burns are the most severe type of burns and are often life-threatening, penetrating through all layers of skin and damaging the muscles, tendons, and bones.
Recoverable Damages in Burn Injury Cases
Victims of burn injuries can pursue compensation for a wide range of economic and non-economic damages, including:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages and other income
- Permanent disfigurement
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Wrongful death (if a loved one dies due to severe burns)
Since every case is different and will vary in value depending on the unique circumstances, it is recommended you speak to an attorney to get a more accurate estimate of your recoverable damages. Our attorneys can evaluate your case and help you pursue a settlement or verdict that that takes into account the long-term impact of your injuries.
Talk to a Jackson Burn Injury Attorney Today
Understanding your rights and options is an excellent start to pursuing fair compensation for your burn injuries, and at ‘MAGGIO Law we offer a free consultation to help you get on the right path. When you involve our firm, you can count on our honesty and our commitment to putting your best interests first. If we take on your case, our attorneys will be accessible to you. You won’t be passed off to an inexperienced staff member who can’t help. You can reach out to us 24/7 for help at any point during your case.
Contact us today for your free consultation. If you want an in-person consultation but can’t come to our offices, we can come to you.