Jackson, MS Anesthesia Negligence Attorney
Anesthesia Error Lawsuits in Mississippi
Anesthesia is a critical component of many medical procedures, including surgeries. Anesthesiologist, anesthetists, and others involved in the administration of anesthesia are required to provide a certain level of care to patients to protect their health and safety. When they fail to uphold the accepted standard of care, patients can experience catastrophic or even fatal consequences.
If you were injured or if someone you love tragically died due to an anesthesia error, turn to the team at ‘MAGGIO Law. Based in Jackson, our anesthesia negligence attorneys provide compassionate, personalized legal service to injured individuals and families throughout Mississippi. Medical malpractice cases are extremely complex; it is important that you have an attorney by your side who knows the law, how the system works, and what it takes to recover maximum compensation for you.
We have won millions in compensation for our clients. Call (601) 265-6869 or contact us online today to request a free, confidential consultation with a member of our team.
What Is Anesthesia Negligence?
Anesthesia negligence occurs when a medical provider fails to uphold the accepted standard of care when obtaining informed consent prior to administering anesthesia, administering anesthesia to a patient, monitoring a patient who has received anesthesia, or providing follow-up/aftercare. The “standard of care” refers to the standard of what another qualified medical provider would or would not do in the same or similar circumstances.
Some examples of relatively common anesthesia errors include:
- Failure to obtain informed consent
- Failure to consider patient’s medical history, including allergies
- Administering an incorrect dosage (underdose/overdose)
- Failure to monitor the patient
- Failure to recognize/respond to anesthesia complications
- Providing improper instructions/failure to provide instructions to patient
- Delayed administration of anesthesia
- Improper intubation/failure to intubate
- Prolonged sedation
- Shutting off pulse oximeter alarm
Anesthesia errors can occur due to a medical providers honest mistake, negligence, or, rarely, intentional misconduct. They can also result from equipment defects, poor communication between departments, and other issues.
Regardless of the cause, if a patient receives substandard treatment, meaning the medical provider failed to uphold the accepted standard of care, they could have a medical malpractice case. A successful claim or lawsuit allows the injured party, or the surviving loved ones if the victim passed away, to recover financial compensation for damages related to the error/negligence. This may include costs associated with further medical treatment, lost income/wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Proving Medical Malpractice in Anesthesia Error Cases
As in other medical malpractice and personal injury claims, the injured party (known as the “plaintiff”) has the burden of proof in anesthesia negligence cases. This means that you must prove that you received substandard medical care, and that this is what led to your injuries and damages.
When building your case, our Jackson anesthesia error attorneys look at a variety of factors, including but not limited to the following:
- Was there a patient-provider relationship between you and the defendant?
- Did the defendant fail to provide an acceptable standard of care?
- Would another qualified medical provider have acted differently in the same or similar circumstances?
- Was the defendant negligent, or did they act wrongfully?
- Were you injured (or lose a loved one) due to the defendant’s negligent or wrongful conduct?
- Did you sustain measurable damages (e.g., medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering)?
- Would you have suffered injuries and/or damages if you had received different treatment from another provider that met the accepted standard of care?
- How severe are your injuries, and what is the extent of your damages?
These are challenging and complex cases, which is why you should immediately seek legal assistance if you believe that you or a loved one may have suffered as a result of a medical provider’s negligence. Our firm is ready to stand up for you and your rights.
How ‘MAGGIO Law Can Help
Suffering a serious injury or medical condition due to a trusted medical provider’s error, negligence, or misconduct is devastating. If you were harmed or lost a loved one as a result of an anesthesia error, navigating the legal process can be incredibly challenging. The good news is that you do not have to do it on your own.
At ‘MAGGIO Law, our Jackson anesthesia negligence lawyers have extensive experience helping victims of medical malpractice seek justice and fair compensation for their losses. We have successfully recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our clients, including many who suffered life-altering injuries due to the careless and negligent conduct of anesthesiologists, anesthetists, nurses, and other trusted medical professionals.
We are prepared to handle every detail of your case so that you can focus on your physical recovery. Throughout the process, we will be available to answer any questions you may have and provide the personalized support you need. We recognize that no two cases are exactly alike, which is why we develop innovative legal strategies customized to each individual client’s case. When you choose our firm, you can count on us to be there for you every step of the way.
To set up a no-cost, no-obligation consultation, call (601) 265-6869 or contact us online.