Nursing Home Neglect Attorneys in Jackson, MS
Putting a Stop to Elder Negligence & Abuse
Let’s face it. At some point, our friends and loved ones may have to be admitted to a nursing home to get the care they require. When they are admitted, we assume that the doctors, nurses, techs, and aides who are employed by the nursing home will do what is necessary to provide appropriate and compassionate care. As you may have already discovered, this isn’t always the case. In some instances, patients and residents experience neglect, mistreatment, or outright abuse.
If you’ve noticed any potential signs of neglect or suspect that elder abuse is occurring at a nursing home where your loved one is a patient, ‘Maggio | Thompson, LLP can help. Our Jackson nursing home negligence lawyers are here to listen to your concerns, answer your questions and offer an explanation of your rights and options to stop mistreatment and hold at-fault parties responsible.
Call (601) 265-6869 today! Together, we can right the wrongs caused by nursing home neglect.
What Is Nursing Home Negligence?
Nursing home negligence may be described as any situation where a patient or resident in an elder care center or nursing home receives substandard care or treatment. This can include conditions caused by understaffing or lack of training, intentional misconduct, or simple carelessness.
We take on cases across Mississippi involving all types of nursing home negligence, including:
- Decubitus Ulcers (Pressure Sores): These painful sores are created by an immobile patient not being turned appropriately throughout the day. If not prevented or treated, they can lead to debilitating health conditions and even death.
- Malnutrition/Dehydration: As hard as it is to believe, one of the chief complaints nursing homes face is that their negligent care and treatment can cause our loved ones to suffer from malnutrition and/or dehydration. These conditions, while bad enough themselves, can also aggravate various other medical conditions from which our loved ones suffer.
- Falls: As we age, our bodies become more brittle, and are therefore more susceptible to injury. When a patient at a nursing home falls because of a dangerous condition or is dropped due to the careless behavior of an attendant, the resulting injury can be painful and traumatic.
Understaffed & Mismanaged Nursing Homes
Mississippi nursing homes and other facilities that care for elderly and infirm patients have an obligation to provide proper care. This includes providing enough staff members to tend to patients’ needs, implementing training and safety procedures to promote patient well-being, performing background checks on caregivers, and taking disciplinary actions against personnel who have violated company policy or engaged in illegal acts.
When nursing homes fail to properly hire or manage caregivers, they can be held responsible if patients are injured as a result. Our Jackson nursing home neglect attorneys at ‘Maggio | Thompson, LLP know how to identify situations where the facility itself is responsible and will pursue the highest amount of compensation to help our client – and to make sure that the facility is brought to justice.
Identifying Signs of Nursing Home Neglect
How can you be sure that an elderly loved one is being neglected or mistreated? While only a complete investigation will yield evidence of wrongdoing, there are some signs you can look for, which may indicate neglect.
If you’ve noticed any of the following signs, you may need to investigate the situation:
- Unexplained injuries
- Recurring falls or accidents
- Malnutrition or dehydration
- Unclean premises
- Delays in providing medical care
- Improper use of restraints
If your loved one is in immediate danger, call 911. If you want a legal opinion, call our attorneys. During a free initial consultation, we will review the signs, ask the difficult questions, and determine whether we should move forward. You can count on our honest and accurate evaluation of your case.
Defective Product $8,800,000
Mass Tort Settlement $8,700,000
Personal Injury Settlement $5,900,000
18-Wheeler Settlement $2,100,000
Auto Settlement $1,000,000
Slip and Fall Settlement $1,000,000
Commercial MVA 625,000
Motor Vehicle Accident $625,000
Motor Vehicle Accident $525,000
Wrongful Death Auto Settlement $500,000